I speak at garden clubs, conservatories and arboretums, and other sites. I can come onsite or come to you via Skype or gchat.
- Paradise Under Glass: The story of how , recovering from a devastating personal crisis, I created a conservatory garden with the help of friends and experts. The talk interweaves stories of the world’s most extraordinary glasshouses, from Versailles to the Victorians’ secret fern gardens.
- A Garden of Marvels: Stories of the early botanists who discovered that flowers are all about sex, leaves eat air, and other secrets of plants. The talk interweaves tales of today’s extraordinary plants, including one-ton pumpkins, truly black petunias, and photosynthesizing sea slugs.
- Changing Directions: How I forged a new career at mid-life to become a popular-science writer.
- Politics and Prose Bookstore, March 15, 2014
- Virginia Festival of the Book, March 20, 2014
- Adkins Arboretum, March 30, 2014
- US Botanic Garden, April 11, 2014
- Missouri Botanical Garden, May 17, 2014
- St. John’s College in Annapolis, November 9, 2014
Past Speaking Events
- Radio Interview: June 2014
- Smithsonian’s Enid Haupt Garden
- Texas Library Association
- Northshire Books in Manchester, Vermont
- Politics and Prose in Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Botanic Garden
- Chevy Chase Garden Club, in Chevy Chase, MD
- Bethesda Garden Club, in Bethesda, MD
- Breathe Books in Baltimore, MD
- METAvivor Research and Support Inc. in Annapolis, MD
- Texas Library Association in San Antonio, TX
- WETA’s Book Studio
- Voice of America
- The New Scotland Garden Club in Washington, DC
- The Sumner Garden Club in Washington, DC
- The Washington Metropolitan Garden Club
- The Long Beach Island New Jersey Garden Club
- The Ft. Worth Garden Club in Fort Worth, TX
- Darnestown Garden Club